Saturday, March 29, 2014

WWE: Superstar Collection - Sheamus DVD Review

WWE Superstar Collection: Sheamus DVD Review
Many of you are probably wondering why I decided to buy and review a Sheamus DVD, but there are two reasons behind it. The first being that it came along with ECW Unreleased Volume 1 for only $9.99. Two DVD's for $10? That's a deal. Secondly, although I've never been a big fan of Sheamus (and I've been anti-Sheamus in the past), I've recently become somewhat of a fan of him. His in-ring work is superb and his improved alot recently. As long as he stays off the mic and doesn't play superman, I enjoy his matches.

This DVD takes a look back at the early years of Sheamus' career in WWE, spanning from late 2009-early 2012. If you follow me on Twitter, you probably remember me bitching about how quick he got the title so it's gonna be interesting going back and watching the progression of his career and seeing my views on it from a 2014 perspective. Without further a due, let's get into this Superstar Collection DVD on Sheamus.

1) John Cena vs. Sheamus - Tables Match for the WWE Championship - TLC 2009
I didn't see this match when it originally happened, I had only heard about it as I don't regularly order WWE PPV's. I must say I was surprised by this match. It wasn't amazing by any means, but it was an enjoyable contest. I've learned that if you can get past your pre-conceived views on someone, you will enjoy some contests that you never thought you could. This is one of those matches. The only thing that annoyed me with this match is
what's been annoying me about Cena for years. He can never put any one over completely clean. It either has to be in a match like this, a match with a special ref, or via a distraction. I don't think having Sheamus win his first title like this was a good idea as it makes it seem like a fluke because he didn't pin Cena. None the less, this was an enjoyable match.

Match rating - 6.5/10

2) Sheamus vs. John Cena vs. Randy Orton vs. Edge - Fatal 4 Way 2010 - WWE Championship Match
I expected this to be phenomenal because of how many great multi-man matches Cena, Orton, and Edge have had in the past (Backlash 07). It wasn't as good as I expected, but it didn't bore me either so this was a decent bout. The finish to this match is what I enjoyed more than anything. It turned into complete chaos in the ring as the battle spilled to the outside, but then the Nexus runs down and beats a bunch of people at ringside down before attacking the competitors. Sheamus takes advantage of this and gets the victory. Decent match with an unexpected finish.

Match rating - 6.25/10

3) Sheamus vs. John Morrison - King of the Ring Finals - Raw - November 29, 2010
These two always had great chemistry together and put on many outstanding matches in 2010, although this wasn't one of their better bouts. This was a still a decent encounter, but it wasn't the quality of their Falls Count Anywhere match a few weeks prior nor their Ladder Match a few weeks after this. Despite that, this match deserved to be on the DVD as it was when Sheamus won the King of the Ring tournament. Solid addition to this DVD set.

Match rating - 6/10

4) Sheamus vs. Daniel Bryan - United States Championship Match - Raw - March 14, 2011
Speaking of guys that Sheamus has alot of chemistry with, Daniel Bryan is one of them. This was a really good match between Bryan and Sheamus. Some great counters from Bryan and an innovative Brogue Kick in mid-air by Sheamus. All around fun, enjoyable stuff. I would have liked for this match to go on a bit longer, but seeing as it was a TV match and that they would have a 2/3 Falls Match a month or so down the road, I can understand not putting it all on the table here. Even though this wasn't Sheamus' best match with Bryan, it deserved to be on the DVD because it was the match in which he won the United States Championship.

Match rating - 7/10

5) 2012 Royal Rumble
Here we were shown the final 15 minutes or so of the 2012 Royal Rumble. It started when Sheamus entered at #22. Sheamus and Jericho were the final two and went at it in one hell of an exchange. There were so many times when I thought Jericho or Sheamus would be eliminated, but they kept hanging on. Very entertaining addition to this set as Rumbles are always fun.

Overall thoughts: This Superstar Collection on Sheamus did what it set out to do - highlight the milestones in Sheamus' career. It features his WWE Title win, US Title win, Royal Rumble win, and King of the Ring victory. The matches aren't quality, but they are entertaining. I wouldn't go out of my way to buy this if you're looking for quality matches, but if you're a Sheamus fan I think you'll enjoy it. If you can find it for cheap or in a two pack like I did, it's something worth taking a look at, but I doubt it's something you'll find yourself watching more than once.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment